Monday 2 May 2011

DLNA Media Streaming with PS3MediaServer

Streaming media to your PS3 or other DLNA enabled device is made ridiculously easy using PS3MediaServer it's a free tool which will run on any operating system that supports the Java run-time. It will automatically transcode your media on-the-fly if the device you are streaming too requires it. I've got a WDTV Live which will play the vast majority of formats, however, there is a serious issue with network shares, so much so that I can't get it to work on my Windows machine at all (It works beautifully via my MacBook)

If you're using a WDTV then most of the formats will just be delivered without transcoding, but by using this software it also means you can stream your MKV's and other unsupported formats to a PS3 or network-enabled TV. This is, of course, a massive time saving, you no longer need to convert your media before you can play it.

My only real complaint about the software is having to restart it in order for my WDTV to see new media, I'm not sure if this is true of all DLNA clients or if I'm doing something wrong. If you know of a way to resolve this then please let me know because it's a little frustrating.

There are plenty of other software options for a DLNA server but as far as I can tell, this is the easiest and quickest free solution.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insight on the .mkv file type, could really come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks for sharing this with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i get errors all the time with media server ps3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I wish I had known this two months ago when I was making a decision on this subject

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting PS3 post. Also, the weight sometimes shifts from one network to another

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, PS3... I'm pissed about mine atm D:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh, the PS3 gets easier and easier. While, with the X-Box, they just make an accessory that plugs into the already 30 other accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice info , but not for me :)

    ReplyDelete